24 August 2009

Now Showing...

I went to see the Broadway musical "Chicago" with my sister on my last night in New York. Balcony seats. It was marvelous, even if Jerry Springer was playing the lawyer Billy Flynn. I loved the whole experience. Although it bothers me that no one dresses up to go to the theater any more, not to the nines, especially those in the cheap seats, like we were. My sister and I were raised to wear black to the theater, so if you have to get up in the middle of the performance, you're not noticable (My family is big on theater, books and movies). Anyway, people were in sundresses, which is ok, you made an effort, but jeans-shorts? Come on. Respect the arts. They put in hours of practice into it, I think you can look a little bit nice in return, right?

Anyway, in other news, my books came in the mail!!! I'm very excited to read "Little Earthquakes" by Jennifer Weiner, "This Side of Married" by Rachel Pastan, and "Vintage Jesus" by Mark Driscoll this week. The first two are lighthearted reads that use the city of Philadelphia as their setting while the third book is a book about Jesus. I'll have a review for you next week on how they went!

And hopefully I'll have heard about Milwaukee by next Tuesday.

2 comments:

May Vanderbilt said...

THANK YOU! I could not agree more! This was one of the most disappointing parts of living in New York for me. I thought people dressed for the theatre. I pictured them dripping in jewels and sequins and style!

Wait, it might have been the only disappointing part....

Mandy Maria said...

That and the $8 dollar toll to get into Manhattan from NJ were the only 2 disappointing things about it thus far...